Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Conversations with my kids...

This one I overheard between Wendi and Emily:

Wendi: "Emily, did you know that flowers have male and female parts?"
Emily: "What?"
Wendi: "You know, flowers...they have male and female parts?"
Emily: "What does that mean!?"
Wendi: (in a very exasperated tone) "You know, like a man and a woman"
Emily: (looking as if it was made not a bit clearer) "Oooohhh..."

This one we had yesterday in the car. I had stopped and got a soda because I had a headache and because, well, I wanted one. Nothing goes unobserved by my children though.

Me: drinking a soda
Choir of children: I want a soda, I want a soda...I'm thirsty...I need a drink (whine, whine, whine..this goes on throughout the whole conversation, like the doo-wop kids or something)
Me: No
Wendi: Mom, is drinking soda good for the baby?
Me: (after some deliberation) I don't drink it every day, a little bit doesn't hurt.
Wendi: But you didn't say it was good for the baby
Me: It's fine for the baby
Wendi: I really don't think you should drink that soda mom.
Other kids: Sodaaaaaa, we want a sodaaaaaa....

Oh, the wisdom of nearly-9-year-olds.

A week or so after school started my sister in law said Emily had mentioned that she didn't have friends at school. I was surprised because Emily is constantly getting invited to friends' houses and has many friends so I asked her about it.

Me: "Emily, Sara told me that you said you don't have any friends at school, do you feel like you have friends at school?"
Emily: "What?"
Me: "Sara told me you said you didn't have friends, is that true?"
Emily: "What?"
Me: "So, you do have friends at school?"
Emily: "Um, yeah, can I go to Alec's house then on Friday?"

Sara later said that Emily had ammended her statement by saying she had lots of friends but no special friend, like Madelyn. (Her cousin). If she had told me that I would have told her that it's really rare to find anyone as special as Madelyn and she's just lucky to have been born into the same family as her best friend. We're sad that Maddy lives so far away in Kansas though.

5 comments:

Daron said...

You blog is a taste of heaven.

Krystal said...

Yeah that you have a blog! I'll definitely be adding it to the list I check all the time. Congrats on the baby on the way!

Westover Bunch said...

I am so excited that you have a blog!! Your kids are hilarious, this will be a good journal...have fun!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on baby! You haven't given away any clues such as snacking at church! I hope you are feeling well.

Becki said...

HEY! And here it is! The long awaited Painter blog. I'm excited to keep up with what's going on with you and the kids. It is VERY cute, too! Great job!